10/08/2017

Best of luck, Gina Miller


I never, ever thought I'd read something like this... Never until recently. 

I even had a dream, a few months ago, about some sort of "secret police" arresting people in the UK according to their skin colour. I was in Bristol in the dream and reached a building I was renting a room in... and two men in suits arrested a middle class woman on the base of her having brown skin. I could hear her complaining on the staircase that she had not prepared for this to happen now and was expected at work. But they took her anyway. And I manage to be discreet and reach the flat I was meant to stay

This hatred is getting out of control!! What happened to get so far?

This is the real side of Brexit... It is not about trade or the single market. It is about some distressed or angry or destructive people rejecting the society as it is, over an imagined representation of a perfect, imperial United Kingdom still dominating the world. It is a dangerous path! 

Please wake up. And let's say no to this kind of violence...


Gina Miller afraid to leave her home after threats of acid attacks

Brexit legal challenger fears she may have to leave the UK if anxiety over her family’s security becomes too much to bear

Wednesday 9 August 2017

Gina Miller, the campaigner who won a Brexit legal challenge against the government, has revealed that she has been receiving threats of acid attacks for months and is afraid to leave her home.
The businesswoman said that if the threats continued and became too much to bear she would “seriously consider” leaving the UK. 
“I have been getting threats of having acid thrown in my face for months and months now. When I see someone walk towards me on the street with a bottle of water or something, I just freak out,” she told Verdict magazine.
With the backdrop of a spate of acid attacks across the country, she said: “My life has completely changed.”
Miller spoke of her fears for her life just weeks after Rhodri Phillips, 50, the 4th Viscount St Davids, was jailed for 12 weeks for racially abusing her on social media. 
Four days after she won her supreme court case against the government, Phillips offered a bounty for her to be run over. He offered “£5,000 for the first person to ‘accidentally’ run over this bloody troublesome first generation immigrant”.
He described her as a “boat jumper” adding: “If this is what we should expect from immigrants, send them back to their stinking jungles”.
In a statement to court, Miller said she felt “violated” by his remarks, which were “offensive, racist and hateful”. 
But even Phillips’ three-month jail sentence has not put people off sending malicious messages and death threats, Miller said.
“I get people who send me death threats who include their name and full address on the letters. People are so bold that they just don’t hide,” she said.
She has had 24-hour security installed in her home, hired security guards and she and her family now spend their weekends at home because of the upset that leaving the house can cause.
“If it came to the point that it was just too much to bear from a security point of view, if I sat down with my police teams and we felt that it was a really serious threat, I would have to seriously consider leaving the UK,” she said.
“This would break my heart because I love this country and I am fighting for it. But we might have to.”
In January this year the Metropolitan police revealed they had issued eight “cease and desist” notices to people who had sent Miller threatening messages. 
She said people were “surprised” when they received the letters, as if they thought they would never be caught.
In April she told how she was still getting abuse after launching a tactical voting initiative ahead of the general election.
At the time she said she had a choice – either to embrace it and do something with her high profile or “walk away”, which she was not minded to do. 
A year after the murder of MP Jo Cox, Miller said that social media companies are still not doing enough to stop abuse being spread. 
Miller was thrust into the public spotlight when she launched the campaign to force the government to give parliament a vote on triggering Article 50.
Now she says she did not realise she would be the sole focus of public attention when she brought the legal action. 
“When the courts made me the lead claimant, my lawyer said to me: ‘My god Gina, do you know what this means?’ and I just sort of said ‘yes’. It was quite fatalistic of me,” she said, adding that she never expected to still be the lead claimant when it came to court.

No comments:

Post a Comment