06/08/2017

"A book is made from a tree...."


 Read on Instagram a comment from a woman that is still making me smile! She just said: "You know how guys show up in bars and offer women a drink? Why can't people do that in book stores?"

How I would love that! Actually, one of my first important relationships started when a man smiled at me on the streets of Paris, stopped me and... offered me a book. A novel by John Fante. I was 19. And very impressed. We were very, very different. But what a suited gesture...

And actually, when I really love someone, I always start by offering them a book. I'm sure many of you never even opened these books :)

But hey, we are who we are!

I'm a reader and a book lover and I believe there would be no story, no film, no legend, no theatre, no song even, without good writing and storytelling. There you have me.

And this man:


“A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts (still called "leaves") imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. 

Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time ― proof that humans can work magic.”


― Carl Sagan

 American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences (1934 – 1996)

-


The only things I ever owned or wanted to own:




No comments:

Post a Comment