02/03/2016

For England, for Motherlands




Just thinking about the links between these two beloved songs... Eight years apart.
They speak about England but it could be about any homeland, really...

I remember listening to the first one massively when I was living in Prague, in 2003, and to the second when in Nairobi, in 2011. 

But I could apply the same words to Paris... 

Sinéad is so powerful in her writing.
And PJ is such a poet.





"A Prayer For England"
In the name of 
And by the power of 
The holy spirit 
May we invoke your 
Intercession for 
The children of england 
Some of whom have seen 
Murder so obscene
Some of whom have been taken 

Let not another child be slain 
Let not another search be made in vain 

Jah forgive us 
For forgetting 
Jah help us 
We need more loving 
See the teachers
Are representing you 
So badly
That not many can see you

Let not another child be slain 
Let not another search be made in vain 

Jah calls the ones who's 
Beliefs kill children to 
Feel the love of you and be healed 
And may we all cry too 
For representing you 
So badly so badly 

Jah forgive us 
For forgetting 
Oh Jah help us 
To be forgiving
The teachers are representing you 
So badly that not many can see you

Let not another search be made in vain 
Let not another child be slain







"England"


I live and die through England
Through England
It leaves a sadness
Remedies never were within my reach
I cannot go on as I am
Withered vine reaching from the country
That I love
England
You leave a taste
A bitter one
I have searched for your springs
But people, they stagnate with time
Like water, like air
To you, England, I cling
Undaunted, never failing love for you
England





No comments:

Post a Comment