15/07/2015

'Morning Theft'



Jeff Buckley - 'Morning Theft'. 




From the album Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk

 (1998)





Time takes care of the wound 
So I can believe 
You had so much to give 
You thought I couldn't see 

Gifts for boot heels to crush 
Promises deceived 
I had to send it away 
To bring us back again 

Your eyes and body brighten 
Silent waters, deep 
Your precious daughter in the
Other room, asleep 

A kiss "Goodnight" from every 
Stranger that I meet 
I had to send it away 
To bring us back again 

Morning theft 
Unpretender left 
Ungraceful 

True self is what 
Brought you here, to me 
A place where we can 
Accept this love 

Friendship battered down by 
Useless history 
Unexamined failure 

But what am I still to you 
Some thief who stole from you? 
Or, some fool drama queen 
Whose chances were few? 

That brings us to who we need 
A place where we can save 
A heart that beats as 
Both siphon and reservoir 

You're a woman, I'm a calf 
You're a window, I'm a knife 
We come together 
Making chance in the starlight 

Meet me tomorrow night 
Or any day you want 
I have no right to wonder 
Just how, or when 

You know the meaning fits 
There's no relief in this 
I miss my beautiful friend 

I have to send it away 
To bring her back again.



No comments:

Post a Comment