07/03/2015

Music in Blue


People have different ideas of what they estimate is great music. But what is sure is that we wouldn't be human without it... I believe at least. I think great music is the one that moves you the most, that talks to you directly and brings meaning in a world full of nonsense and blurred values.

Friends have asked me why I listen to such melancholic music while reporting and travelling, as I already work on such gloomy topics (genocides, civil war, haunting ghosts of unspoken pasts...).

My favourite musician explained it perfectly in a interview:

"Everyone says we're dark, but I think our music's a safer place to be than pop music. Pop's fucking cold, mechanical and scary – that really terrifies me. I find most sad music warmer, because it's an outlet, isn't it? Emotional music is cathartic. Sad music is the true spirit of the people, melancholic music, whereas pop is just a transient thing to keep your mind off the shit"...


(In Rock's Backpages, 3rd February 2003: 3D talks to Stephen Dalton about war, melancholia and the duo's new 100th Window)


I could choose many songs to illustrate this feeling, yet today is one for this one, because it's "blue" (my favourite colour), you know?




"Bullet Boy" soundtrack, 2003

--

More on the film:

Bullet Boy is a 2004 British drama film directed by Saul Dibb, written by Saul Dibb and Catherine Johnson, and stars Ashley Walters. The film’s original music was composed and performed by Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack, who released it as an album. The film is about a family in crime ridden east London, the eldest son’s involvement in gun crime, and the effects of this on his younger brother. Filming took place in the summer of 2003.


No comments:

Post a Comment